2012/11/07

Build error of msysGit on Windows 8


If we use git on Windows environment, many people use Git for Windows.But recently I tried to msysGit instead of that and stuck with installation.

I tried to do it several times. But every time I found error in the middle way. Here is error message.


It seems to success compiling the source code because I found binary files in git directory. However I feel uncomfortable so that I search around web sites.

Fortunately, I found a simple solution at Googlegroups.I could install msysgit after I have set “LANG=C” in OS’s environmental variables. In windows 8, I found that on “Advanced system settings” in System control panel.

What is “LANG”? According to Oracle’s site, it regulates locale of the system. “C” means to POSIX, which includes ANSI C. I can also use “ja_JP.UTF-8” to set Japanese environment. If I have Japanese locale on Japanese Windows, I might have no problem like that.

With Git for Windows, I did not have any problem. If you don't need functionality for developer of git software itself, it is better to use Git for Windows.

No comments:

Post a Comment